Who We Are
First Lutheran Church is "a community of faith reaching out in the name of Jesus Christ."
We are a congregation for and about the world. We are a community striving to embrace diversity and lead people into discovering their unique gifts for service and ministry. We are part of the entire Christian church on earth, the Body of Christ, and we are affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America in the Northwest Synod of Wisconsin.
First Lutheran has been a part of Eau Claire for almost 150 years, and has a long history of making an impact in our community, including development of Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire (formerly Luther Midelfort Hospital), Feed My People Food Bank, Bolton Refuge House, and Interfaith Hospitality Network. We are deeply committed to the Eau Claire community and to making a difference in the world around us.
Meet Our Staff
Learn about the First Lutheran Foundation
What We Believe
We believe that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior of all, and that he died and rose again so that all people might have relationship with God and each other forever (John 3:16-17). We believe in the Triune God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We believe that all people are created in the image of God, and just as Christ welcomed all, we as His church are accepting of all people. We believe that God equips all baptized Christians with unique gifts for ministry and calls us all into action to serve one another (1 Corinthians 12:7).
Learn more about what we believe in the ELCA.
Christ calls us as His church to:
- Worship: Know and experience God as a community through receiving His Word and Sacraments (Holy Communion and Baptism) and respond to God with praise and thanksgiving.
- Education: Grow deeper in our relationship with God and live as His disciples.
- Outreach: Share the blessings God has given us with the world and serve those around us.
Our Core Values:
- Jesus Christ is the focus; we are not about buildings or structures, but always about the people of God gathered around Word and Sacrament (Worship), Faith Formation, and Outreach.
- We are a congregation for and about the community and not about ourselves.
- We are a congregation dedicated to making a difference locally and in the world in which we live.
- We are a congregation leading others into active ministry.
- Sunday is a day of Sabbath, focused on worship and family.
- We are a congregation always in transition.
We welcome you to be a part of our community and join us in the mission we share in Christ. For more information about First Lutheran, to get involved in our ministries, or to learn more about becoming a member, please contact us.
Sign up for our newsletters to stay up-to-date with all the ministries of First!